Alright, alright!!

cos-mo-post-al-an [koz-muh-postal-en]: adjective/noun
1. a person
who belongs to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world; can make their home anywhere in the world.
2. a person who believes fully that postage stamps and mail connect the world, regardless of where, from or to, they go.
3. the joyful experience of knowing you're a local because your mail made it to its destination
.


The postage stamp is truly wonderful. It can travel the world, experience the lives of a million different people, go through the doors of strangers; and never once lose sight of where it's headed.
Welcome to the land of cosmopostalan : travel, mail and words. It's a crazy little place in my corner of the woods; wherever that may be!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mapping and tracking

A map.
Infinitely more complex than it appears from first glance. A mess of roads, landmarks, towns, cities, rivers, lakes, coasts, oceans -- and everything in between. But, to me, what makes a map so special is the knowledge that until every inch of it has been covered, the possibility of travel remains endless.

When I was younger, I frequently used a GeoSafari. I loved, and still do love, the informational and fun experiences it gave me, in regard to travel, language and culture on a global scale. That could be where my love of maps started. Or, it could just be directly associated to a passion for travel.
Either way, maps have not left my side.

In fifth grade, I order some books from "The Book List" and as a complimentary gift I received a scholastic map. I still have it. It doesn't show landmarks, and it doesn't separate countries by states or regions. It is deeply vague and yet still, then and now, provided--and continues to provide--me with dreams of travel to places I could only imagine. The best part is that Australia is in the centre of the map, instead of sitting off to the side. It's a truly lovely map.

Just not in this photo...


Upon traveling in the States, I managed to pick up a LOT of maps. I think this is because of the sheer MASSIVE amount of all the different states here (fifty, as of August 1959) and each of their single necessities for maps, and mapping. One of my future goals is to cover an entire wall with all of the maps of America that I have collected, so that I have one "mass-Ameri-map" (Massive America Map). Similarly, I hope to do the same with a map of Australia, and then a world map.

However, I decided against doing that just yet on the walls of my current abode, and have instead stuck up a World Map that I found here in the States.


It's a National Geographic-issued World Map, from 1981, with Australia sitting to the right-hand side, and Africa as a prominent centre. It is printed on what I like to refer to as "tarpaulin paper" -- the kind of paper that has a waxy finish and, I like the think, could have a second use as a tent cover or, if folded correctly, a small boogie board. It is beautifully coloured and shows each state/territory/region(/country) in each country(/continent) on the map. It's beautiful.


But then I have one other that also adorns what other little space I have on my wall. It is a map from England, concentrated on the gorgeous London. Through the centre of the map runs the River Thames, and Hyde Park sits in the top left-hand corner. It sets a goal for me to make it to London soon.

Do not be fooled by windows. Even the good ones offer a limited view. Instead, see the world in its proper perspective. Spin a globe and land where you will. Discover a place. Remember a place you've never been. People and places, future and past. Ideas. History. Customs. Borders. Mysteries. It's good to wonder. ~ Replogle Globes 
But then there are the wonderful circular dream-makers--globes. Globes add a whole nother layer of joy to travel, especially such globes that have ribbing or raised areas for landmarks. Such is the globe I was given last year. A 1973 (approx.) Replogle Globe, from Chicago, Ill. (which instantly makes it ten times more legit), it adorns a shelf with Australia sitting duly frontal.

The concept of closing ones eyes and traipsing a finger across a map is not lost in this day and age of ticket-booking sites, automated travel agents, and business trips. No; instead, such a concept sits waiting to be rekindled; upon every map, waiting to be decorated with the ideas and dreams of the avid traveller.

And, so, travel I will.
                              ~ Ms. Always Traveling

1 comment:

  1. Grr.. Well, I will write you back today and mail it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely postal ponderings!
May today be a beautiful, full-of-mail kind-of day!
~ Ms. Always Traveling